Wednesday, August 27, 2014

{5 Reasons I Love Spoken Word Poetry}

I originally learned about spoken word poetry in a TED Talk by Sarah Kay in 7th grade. As soon as I heard her legendary poem "B" (also known as "If I Should Have a Daughter") I was hooked on it. I always had (and still have) my quirky hobbies that not many of my friends understood and I would usually lose those hobbies in about a week. But spoken word is something that has miraculously stayed with me ever since. It was a way for me to express my feelings artistically without having to think a whole lot about it. Of course I had to think of all the semi-distant metaphors and similes that crowd my writing, but I didn't have to think poetically, I really just had to write. Sometimes the great thing about spoken word is that it's as easy to write as making a list. To this day, "B" by Sarah Kay is still by far my favorite spoken word poem and ever since then, I've loved listening and watching all sorts of spoken word poems and music. So here are 5 reasons why I love spoken word:

5 Reasons Why I Love Spoken Word

1. It's all in free verse and doesn't take a lot of thought
2. Really any speech can be a form of Spoken Word
3. It's an easy form of poetry to write when I don't know what to write
4. It could be a list if you really wanted it to
5. Someone's voice can really change the meaning of the poem they're reading

This post wasn't super original, but it will do. If you haven't tried spoken word, I definitely suggest that you try it. Spoken word is just a really easy way to express yourself without feeling too out there or uncomfortable with what you're writing (which I know other forms of poetry can do). 

This is obviously only my second post and I only have like 2 people reading it, but that's okay. I'm honestly really nervous about you two people judging all my writing. If anyone would like to leave suggestions for posts, please do so. I'm planning on posting about 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). 


No comments:

Post a Comment